Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Summerten Mixtape (Side Two)

Dear Reader,

I know you've missed me. I've missed you too. But let's not talk about you & me, dear reader. No, we've come here for a much different purpose. I'm here to finish what I started. So, without further ado, Summerten Mixtape Side Two.

Don Henley- Boys of Summer: This one is a gimme. I've never listened to this song and thought, "Man, I sure am tired of that chorus." In fact, I'm pretty sure I've thought the complete opposite of that. Times ten. I'm not listening to the song right now, but if it doesn't end in a fade-out, it should. This is the kind of song that should just keep going.

Bibio- Lovers' Carvings: This group is new to me, but honestly, this was a tough pick. There's a lot of gems on their latest album. However, this one has that "summer" tone, that x-factor if you will (and I know you will).

White Stripes- Ball & Biscuit: This is an older song, from the album "Elephant", but right now I cannot get enough of this band. I love Jack White's talking blues on this song. I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said about him as a player, either. I would write a song with a catchy title about how much I love this band a la Ray LaMontagne, but unfortunately there's no way to rhyme "Jack White" with "sick-ass riffmeister".

Yeasayer- Ambling Alp: Like Bibio, this is another song that just feels at home in the hot weather. It also helps that it has a bubbly rhythm and an undeniably catchy chorus. This chorus will not be denied. Let the dance party begin.

The Police- Wrapped Around Your Finger: Another group that I always seem to come back to, the Synchronicity album, particularly side two, never fails to disappoint.

Explorer's Club- Forever: Reverb-heavy guitars. "Ooh-wee-oooh" harmonies. Songs with titles like "In the Sand". These guys memorized the Beach Boys playbook. And you know what? I don't hate it one bit. This song is an immensely catchy ode to requited love. And who doesn't like that?

I feel like there's more, but this is so overdue, we're going with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment